Terraria (Unofficial) Easter-Themed Building Competition!

Discussion in 'Builder's Area' started by Bismuth, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Bismuth

Bismuth Elder Auroran Trusted User Retired

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
    With a recent server reset and lots of new builders since a year ago, I've decided to hold another building competition! This building competition is meant to commemorate all the amazing builders we currently have in Aurora and celebrate everyone’s skills in good fun.

The winner of the competition will get a Steam Game of 10 USD or Less of their choice gifted to them!

* This competition is no way official, and does not require a Builder rank to participate. If you want to participate in the competition, simply respond to this thread with a comment saying you want to participate before April 28th, 11:59 PM PDT.

Rules for the Competition
    In this competition, competitors will be building an Easter-themed build on the Aurora Terraria Server. Competitors will have until May 14th, 11:59 PM PDT to finish and submit their builds.

* Competitors will build it themselves without any help from other players or copying off the internet; breaking these rules will disqualify yourself with no exceptions.

Finished builds will be sent to Bismuth or Thomas in a personal message, either via Forums or Discord. Competitors must additionally send the coordinates of their building on the server so we can confirm build history and that it’s on the server. Competitors will be able to submit one building only.

After the Competition
    Once the competition ends, we will evaluate all builds we get. To determine which build is first place, we have a 40 point rubric that we'll use to grade each build. Just remember that art is subjective, and we might evaluate things a bit differently than how you think it should've gotten points.

Theme ; 10 Points Available
    How faithful is the build to the theme? Could someone look at it and immediately think, “That’s an Easter build”?

Detail ; 10 Points Available
    Is the build detailed, having variation in blocks and furniture? Are interesting things happening throughout the entire build? Are there empty or seemingly unfinished areas in the build?

Beauty ; 10 Points Available
    Is the build easy on the eyes? Is the use of color and texture appealing to the eyes? Is it easy to understand what’s going on?

Size ; 5 Points Available
    Preferably, a build should meet the standards of Builder applications size-wise. It should be at least half a screen wide and half a screen tall.

Submission; 5 Points Available
    Submissions should be sent before the deadline and with the coordinates of where it is in the server. It should be done to Bismuth or Thomas in forum or discord personal messages.

The person who gets the most points with their build will get a 10 USD Steam Game of their choice, gifted personally by me!

Questions and Answers
    Q: What does “Unofficial” mean in the competition’s title? Can I use the build I submitted in the competition in future builder applications?
    A:
    Unofficial just means this isn’t being carried out by staff as a whole, but rather just me and Thomas. Therefore, this won’t affect any future builder applications if you do join the competition, and you will be able to use the build you submitted here on a future builder application.

Q: I built a building on the server just a week or so ago that fits perfectly with the theme, can I submit it?
    A:
    It depends on the circumstance, but if the build works out with all the rules (No one helped you make it, on the server, lines up with the theme), then sure! Just tell me or Thomas when submitting the building so we know.

Q: Can you be more specific on what constitutes as someone “helping” me on my build?
    A: They shouldn’t be building it alongside you. It’s okay to ask for a small tip, like what to do with a very specific place in the build, or needing someone to do something for you because you don’t have the permissions to do so. It’s a gray area, so if you want to play it safe ask first.

Q: I don’t own Steam / I don’t think I can receive a gift from the USA / I don’t want a Steam gift, what will I get in return?
    A:
    Sorry. That means you probably won’t get a prize if you do get first place. On the bright side, you hopefully have a friend you’d want to gift a steam gift to; if you win, I’ll gladly gift it to them instead!

Q: Should I do this? I’m on the fence.
    A:
    If you think you’re at least decent at building and you won’t be busy in the next two to three weeks, then yes! It’s a good way to put yourself out there if you’re not currently a Builder, and a fun way to compete with the other Builders if you are one yourself. The prize should just be a bonus for the fun of building something and seeing what everyone else came up with.

If this seems interesting to you, just comment below saying you're in and you'll be in! No builder rank is required :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
    Participants in the Competition
    [ Retired ] Richter
    [ Designer ] Temple Priest
    [ Designer ] BuyTap
    [ Helper ] xlr8toRR
    [ Donator 2 ] Cazym
    [ Architect ] Evil_Lootly
    [ User+ ] terrah
    [ Designer ] Minority

Note: Thomas was unable to judge the buildings, so @Maxx. has helped me judge them instead.

Thank you everyone for participating, and congratulations to Minority for winning the competition! (Seriously, this was down to the wire, congratulations everyone for building so good!) See all 5 buildings submitted below! :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Terrah2

[​IMG]
    xlr8tor

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. athiestman

athiestman Baby Auroran

Aug 20, 2016
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    athiestman
    I want to participate.

4. Richter

Richter Terraria Builder Terraria Builder Retired

Apr 6, 2016
    Female
    Quezon City, Brgy Maunlad Gumaca Quezon.
    Terraria Character Name:
    Nyxteri
    Minecraft Character Name:
    Eternivy
    kek count me in

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Temple Priest

Temple Priest Terraria Designer Terraria Designer Minecraft Designer

Aug 8, 2016
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    Temple Priest
    Yes! I need some incentive to finish a build for once :x

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BuyTap

BuyTap Terraria Architect Terraria Architect

Nov 10, 2018
    IKEA
    Terraria Character Name:
    BuyTap
    I shall join this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. xlr8toRR

xlr8toRR french frie

Dec 29, 2018
    Male
    ภєאՇ Շ๏ չєɭ๔ค
    ɘƚɒ|q ɿuoʏ
    Terraria Character Name:
    xlr8tor or hgcn g
    I join everyone, I feel the disaster happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wade

Wade That Nerd Borealis

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    Designer
    Virtual Hackerspace
    Terraria Character Name:
    Wade
    Minecraft Character Name:
    Cazym
    Alright I’ll do it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Evil_Lootly

Evil_Lootly Terraria Architect Terraria Architect

Aug 19, 2014
    Male
    Sweeping and Dusting Evil Things
    Your Soul
    Terraria Character Name:
    Evil Lootly
    I'll join n stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. terrah

terrah Baby Auroran Trusted User

Oct 28, 2018
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    terrah2
    i would like to participate

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. N1¢ko

N1¢ko Terraria Architect Terraria Architect

Mar 2, 2018
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    Minority
    May i take a slot in participation pls

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
    Sign ups are now officially closed! Good luck to all participants, you will be alerted of your deadlines on May 7th, May 10th, May 13th & May 14th if you haven't turned your builds in by then.

13. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
    There is now just a week left until the deadline! Remember to submit your build to either me or Thomas by May 14th, 11:59 PM PDT.

Also, as you all are probably aware, there was a server reset to counteract grief in the server. I'm willing to extend the deadline for up to 2-3 more days for anyone who was severely affected by the reset for their building. Please message me specifically for more information on this.

14. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
    There is now just 4 days left until the deadline! Remember to submit your build to either me or Thomas by May 14th, 11:59 PM PDT.

15. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed
  16. Bismuth

Aug 3, 2016
    Terraria Character Name:
    Bismuth Seed