Aurora Update 3.3

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Clay, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Clay

Clay Ice Demon shhh Donator 4

Oct 11, 2013
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    Clay
    Today, we are introducing some rank changes that have been in discussion for a while. We're making these changes to help create a more welcoming and friendly environment for our players.

Right now, we have an [Operator] rank and a [Moderator] rank, both of which act as staff members on our server. There's long been a sense of confusion about which ranks are supposed to take which roles on the server, so we're looking to clarify that with the following changes.

To start with, we are merging the [Operator] rank with the [Moderator] rank, which means you will no longer see the [Operator] rank in-game.

R.I.P. [Grief Watch]/[Operator] 2013-2016

Next, we are introducing a rank called [Helper]. This rank is a non-staff rank that players can volunteer for. Players with the [Helper] rank will be active community managers- err, community supporters that will have access to a variety of commands such as /mob, /boss, /region, and others which will enable them to help others without acting in any official staff capacity. All server operations such as grief management and player moderating will be handled by [Moderators] and above.

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions that haven't actually been asked and are being made up on the spot:

Why is this change being made?
    The Operator and Moderator ranks were nearly identical in function, leading to confusion about the purpose of each rank and which roles they played on the server. This change will allow us to have one clearly defined "normal" staff rank (Moderator) and one clearly defined "volunteer" rank (Helper) for players.
    What will happen to current Operators?
    Current Operators will be demoted to Helpers once this change takes place. Operators will be given a chance to apply for Moderator before this change happens.
    When will this change take place?
    The Operator rank will be permanently removed in approximately two weeks. Current Operators that wish to remain staff will need to complete their Moderator application within this time.
    Moderator Application?!?
    That's not a real question.
    What do you mean by Moderator application?
    Since we will no longer have a group of pseudo-staff (Operators) to promote directly, we will be opening up Moderator applications once again. However, all Moderator applications will be done in a private section of the forum and will be decided on by the current staff members.
    How does one get the Helper rank?
    To get the [Helper] rank, players may submit an "application" on the forum (similar to our current Operator application). However, there will not be a poll on the application. The community will be able to comment on Helper applications, but as with Moderator applications, only the staff will decide on whether or not to approve new Helpers.
    TL;DR: We're removing Operator rank. We're replacing it with a [Helper] rank that is not staff and is designed to be active and support the community from within. Players can apply for [Helper] on the forum, and Helpers will be able to apply for [Moderator].

• Informative x 10
    • Like x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. SPYHUNTER299

SPYHUNTER299 Elite Infiltrator Donator 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    Agent
    Off the Radar
    Terraria Character Name:
    SPYHUNTER299
    And I would've applied for Operator if I didn't have a lump of wood for a computer...

Well, I was a moderator before on a different game, soo maybe I'll apply for that once I get a computer worth using for games.

Also, what differences were there between Operator and Moderator prior to the change?

Edit: Realized Operator/Moderator applications have replaced with helper applications (obviously, why I didn't make out such a simple connection in my brain I will never know)
    Silly Me :oops:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Pyro240

Pyro240 Watermelon Lover

Aug 14, 2014
    Large Nanobot Array
    A dyson sphere somewhere.
    Terraria Character Name:
    Pyro240
    Minecraft Character Name:
    Pyro240
    But will Hlepers (this is a reference to a thing that happened about 3 hours ago on slack and ingame) have /disable?

(i hope not)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hayley

Hayley Dimensional Witch ✨ Donator 2 Retired

Jun 13, 2016
    Female
    Secretary
    your heart ♥
    The main difference was that Operators weren't able to kick or ban, but Moderators could. However, most of the two ranks' kits were generally the same otherwise, which compelled this change.
    Helpers will not have any staff-related commands since they aren't staff. This means that they will not have /history, /rollback or /disable, or any other grief management/player moderation commands.

5. Pyro240

Pyro240 Watermelon Lover

Aug 14, 2014
    Large Nanobot Array
    A dyson sphere somewhere.
    Terraria Character Name:
    Pyro240
    Pyro240
    That's a relief.

6. Daghostyguy

Daghostyguy Baby Auroran

Oct 8, 2014
    Male
    Programming Computers/Building them
    Earth
    Terraria Character Name:
    Daghostyguy
    Us builders are safe for now lul. But great update I really like the idea of people doing volunteer work for the server. I just hope that the rank isn't a breeze to get.

7. -Kyle-

-Kyle- Le wise member

Sep 7, 2014
    So will the applications have different requirements aside from the general approval of the staff? Or does the staff look for particular qualities in the people applying?

8. Hayley

Hayley Dimensional Witch ✨ Donator 2 Retired

Jun 13, 2016
    Female
    Secretary
    your heart ♥
    Both of these coincide with each other. If you're suitable for the job, the staff will naturally also be supportive of your application. The qualities that the staff are looking out for are exactly what you'd expect - Helpers need to be helpful, friendly and generally be good at interacting with the community and catering to its needs.

9. Joshua274

Joshua274 Senior Auroran

May 23, 2015
    Male
    Being a Mayor of Tinytown City
    Tinytown City, Aurora
    Terraria Character Name:
    Joshua274
    rip Operator

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RedCreeper07

RedCreeper07 The Last Crimtane Retired

Oct 11, 2014
    No service
    Gone
    Oh there she is. *Sees the moderator app tab.* Now stop running away!! *Tapes the tab to the ground.*

Ok Clay. Let's begin. Oh, and make sure I get moderator first. It's for testing purposes... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. dog-moon

dog-moon Auroran

Aug 15, 2015
    Male
    Being Alive
    [email protected]
    Terraria Character Name:
    god-moon
    i am simple man, i see update, i am joy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ominethious

Ominethious Auroran Trusted User

Sep 1, 2013
    Hm.. About Trusted User:

Is it escencially similar to moderator or builder command kits?

13. Azura

Azura Baby Auroran

Jun 11, 2016
    Female
    Philippines
    Terraria Character Name:
    Azura
    New ranks ey? :D

14. CubeGuySquared

CubeGuySquared Auroran

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    employee of HiTek Labs
    the third dimension
    Terraria Character Name:
    TyrcFlammenElijahDisasterOrAnythingWithCubeInItIfItsUserPlusOrUp
    SquareBoyCubed
    Is there a length of time we need to be on everyday to be a helper? because I only get 3 hours of video games on a non-school day, 2 on a school day.

15. Clay

Clay Ice Demon shhh Donator 4

Oct 11, 2013
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    Clay
    We're not going to require you to be online a certain amount each day (we all have lives and know things happen IRL). As long as you can be active somewhat consistently (and preferably tell us if something does come up), there shouldn't be any related issues.

16. CubeGuySquared

CubeGuySquared Auroran

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    employee of HiTek Labs
    the third dimension
    Terraria Character Name:
    TyrcFlammenElijahDisasterOrAnythingWithCubeInItIfItsUserPlusOrUp
    SquareBoyCubed
    Yay. But, I may have to tell some things after they happen, like I couldn't play in the evening yesterday.

17. Pro2008player

Pro2008player Baby Auroran

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Terraria Character Name:
    pro2008player
    Helper Application

Time: 5 hours

User: pro2008player

Idk what else

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  18. Thomas

Thomas The Alpha Donator ☆☆☆ Top Voter Retired Alpha

May 22, 2016
    Male
    Sleeping
    Australia
    Terraria Character Name:
    Thomas
    If you are wishing to apply for Helper, you can apply here: https://aurora-terraria.org/forum/helper-applications.72/. Make sure to thoroughly read through the Rules and Regulations before writing an application.